This is a classroom-based 1-day SCS-certified course in training team leaders for technical rescue course, and is the highest level course a technical rescue team member can achieve. It is available from SCS when requested to suit your schedule, with a minimum of 5 student enrollments required.
This course is designed as a technician level team leader program, which builds team dynamics. It consists of both classroom as well as practical field instruction, with an emphasis on team skills, team building, and team management.
This team leader program allows the rescuer to manage a team, and mentor basic, intermediate, and advanced level team members. The successful candidate can work as a team leader during a rescue evolution either actual or simulated.
In this course you will learn rescue team dynamics, team communications, team safety, advanced rescue operations, team building and maintenance. You will leave with the advanced knowledge and skills to build, maintain, and lead a rescue team. Special attention will be given at the operational safety level.
Course topics include the following:
- Operational safety and team safety
- Personal rope skill maintenance (ropes and knots)
- Rescue team leader roles and responsibilities
- Documentation and logs
- Pre-incident planning, and rescue planning
- Rescue risk management and risk analysis
- Multi-agency response
- Rescue team selection
- Rescue skills evaluation and team skills maintenance
- Rescue team scenarios and drill exercises
- CISM rescue team members
- Post incident critique and debrief
- Successful completion requires passing a written exam and demonstrating practical skills.
Prerequisites and PPE
To enroll in this course, you must be 18 years old, be in good physical condition, and be comfortable at heights (no acrophobia). You also need to have proof of successful completion of the following:
- either Rope Rescue Level 3 (Advanced) or Confined Space Rescue Level 3, and
- Standard First Aid with Level C CPR.
The required PPE includes CSA-approved steel toed boots, safety glasses, leather gloves, coveralls, and/or appropriate clothing for inclement weather conditions.
Note: All courses require you to have government-issued photo ID.