This is a classroom-based 1-day course in oilfield driver awareness, certified by Energy Safety Canada (formerly Enform). It is available from SCS when requested to suit your schedule, with a minimum of 5 student enrollments required. SCS partners with ESC to bring you this training, the gold standard in Alberta for drivers in the upstream oil and gas industry.
This ESC-certified Oilfield Driver Awareness course is focused on helping you develop effective driver behaviour, particularly helping you maintain an attitude of safety when you are behind the wheel.
Course topics include the following:
- Understanding relevant regulations, policies, and National Safety Code requirements
- Developing a professional driving attitude
- Understanding and dealing with personal limitations (physical and mental well-being)
- Driving proactively (how to be an defensive driver)
- Responding to changing road conditions
- Off-highway driving techniques
- Controlling exposure to hazards
- Planning for the journey (journey management)
- Developing Emergency Response Plans
- Performing proper vehicle/safety inspections
Note About Eligibility for Demerit Reduction From Alberta Transportation
This course is approved by Alberta Transportation as a “Professional Driver Improvement Course” (PDIC). If you have an Alberta Operator’s License and get 80% or better on the written examination for ODA, you will be eligible for a reduction of up to three demerit points from your driving record from Alberta Transportation! You would arrange that through any Alberta registries agent.
Note About GODI or LDV Prior Certificates
If you have a current General Oilfield Driver Improvement or Light Duty Vehicle certificate, you will have to recertify using this Oilfield Driver Awareness course when that certificate expires. The Oilfield Driver Awareness certificate is equivalent to the previous General Oilfield Driver Improvement or Light Duty Vehicle certificate.
Provincial agencies are aware of the updated course offering and accept the Oilfield Driver Awareness certificate as a replacement of the GODI or LDV certificate.
- Basic literacy and understanding in the language the course is being taught is required
- Students must be on time and present for all course content instruction.
- Course duration: 8 Hours (may continue beyond 4:30 pm)
- Lunch breaks and coffee breaks are provided – Please bring a lunch
Prerequisites and PPE
You don’t need to complete any other courses or have any prior experience to enroll in this course. You also don’t need to bring along any personal protective equipment (PPE).
Note: All courses require you to have government-issued photo ID.