This is a classroom-based 7-day SCS-certified course that provides the technician level of confined space rescue skills and knowledge. It is available from SCS when requested to suit your schedule, with a minimum of 5 student enrollments required.
This course consists of both classroom as well as practical field instruction, with an emphasis on complex rigging systems, mechanical advantage systems, advanced team skills, advanced victim packaging and extraction, team building, and team management. Special attention is given at the operational safety level.
This program also provides the student with the advanced knowledge and skills to move into the Team Leader program.
This course builds on your current rescue skill levels and introduces you to advanced techniques in confined space rescue and team dynamics.
Course topics include the following:
- Operational safety and rescue risk management
- Personal rope skill maintenance. (ropes and knots)
- Complex rigging, anchoring, and mechanical advantage systems
- Multi-rescuer operations and atmospheric testing
- Confined space rescue technician roles and responsibilities
- Advanced team confined space operations
- Rescue equipment selection, maintenance and inspection
- Team building, team maintenance, and scenarios
- Advanced victim packaging and extraction
Successful completion requires passing a written exam and demonstrating practical skills.
This technician level confined space rescue program allows you as the rescuer to manage a team, mentor level 1 and level 2 confined space rescue team members, and work as a team member during a rope rescue evolution, either actual or simulated. Upon successful completion of this program, you will have the opportunity to move into the Team Leader program.
Prerequisites and PPE
To enroll in this course, you must be 18 years old, and be in good physical condition. You also need to have proof of successful completion of the following:
- Confined Space Rescue Level 2 (Intermediate), and
- Standard First Aid with Level C CPR.
The required PPE includes CSA-approved steel toed boots, safety glasses, leather gloves, coveralls, and/or appropriate clothing for inclement weather conditions.
Note: All courses require you to have government-issued photo ID.