This is a classroom-based 3-day SCS-certified course introducing confined space rescue open rescue operations, and principles involving confined spaces. It is available from SCS when requested to suit your schedule, with a minimum of 5 student enrollments required.
This course is designed as an entry-level confined space rescue program, which introduces you to the confined space rescue environment, personal rope skills, rescue legislation, and standards regarding confined space rescue and confined space operations.
In this course, you will learn basic rope systems, rescue equipment familiarization, and confined space rescue skills. The course consists of both classroom as well as practical field instruction, with an emphasis on personal skills and safety.
Course topics include the following:
- Personal safety/personal protective gear
- Personal rope skills (ropes and knots)
- Legislation and confined space rescue standards
- Basic rope principles, self rescue, rigging, and anchoring
- Confined space classifications and confined space operations
- Basic incident command (ICS)
- Rescue equipment selection, maintenance and inspection
- Safety checks and scene surveys
- Personal and commercial hazardous atmosphere monitors
- Hazard assessments/pre-entry permits
- Successful completion requires passing a written exam and demonstrating practical skills.
Note that this is a basic level confined space rescue program. It will not yet allow the individual to work in a rescue environment, nor will it allow the individual to perform a rescue, but it will give the student the personal skills to move into the SCS Confined Space Rescue Level 2 (Intermediate) program, which does allow the rescuer to work in a support role under guidance of an advanced rescuer.
Prerequisites and PPE
To enroll in this course, you must be 18 years old and be in good physical condition. You also need to have proof of successful completion of Standard First Aid with Level C CPR.
The required PPE includes CSA-approved steel toed boots, safety glasses, leather gloves, coveralls, and/or appropriate clothing for inclement weather conditions.
Note: All courses require you to have government-issued photo ID.