Oilfield Driver Awareness course is focused on developing effective driver behavior and attitudes, helping drivers maintain an attitude of safety when they are behind the wheel. The updated material has less emphasis on technical driving instruction.
Participants will learn:
- Developing a professional driving attitude
- Understanding and dealing with personal limitations (physical and mental well-being)
- Driving proactively – how to be an defensive driver
- Responding to changing road conditions
- Planning for the journey
- Controlling exposure to hazards
- Developing Emergency Response Plans
- Performing safety inspections
If an individual currently holds a valid General Oilfield Driver Improvement or Light Duty Vehicle certificate no action is required. Once their certificate expires they will be required to take the new Oilfield Driver Awareness program.
The Oilfield Driver Awareness certificate is equivalent to the General Oilfield Driver Improvement or Light Duty Vehicle certificate. Provincial agencies are aware of the updated course offering and will be accepting the Oilfield Driver Awareness certificate as a replacement of the GODI or LDV certificate.
The demerit reduction process for the new course will remain the same as it was for the General Oilfield Driver Improvement or Light Duty Vehicle certificate.